Thursday, October 14, 2010

My First Week Experiences


Today I realized that I should have come to the University of Sussex one week before, i.e., in the last week of September, 2010. The Autumn Term for the academic year 2010-2011 started on 4th October, 2010.  This term is a ten weeks programme and will end on 10th December, 2010.
I reached here on Saturday, 2nd October, 2010 late in the evening. Next day was Sunday, 3rd October, 2010. So I could not meet anyone in the SU. However, I had sent an e-mail to Dr. Parimal Patel asking for an appointment to meet him on Monday, 4th October, 2010. On 4th October, 2010 Dr. Patel took me to the IT Services of Sussex and the School of Life Sciences as well as the faculty of Business, Management and Economics. There I met Dr. Maria Savona and others.
Let me remind  you that I was given accommodation at the IDS (Institute of Development Studies) till 16th October, 2010. So from 5th Oct. onwards till 9th Oct. I was busy searching for advertisements for accommodation on the websites of 'Gumtree' and 'Rightmoves' every day and every hour .Whenever I found the opportunity to view the flat I went to Brighton city personally to view the same. It so happened that  either I could  not get or when I got some flat I was advised by friends here not to take the same as that area is not safe. At the same time I started searching for the courses so that  I can attend the lectures and practicals . It was through Dr. Pari’s good contacts, I was able to write a mail to the course coordinators of Life Sciences, Dr. Mark Paget and Dr. Robert Ray. Dr Mark Paget not only directed me to Prof. Trevor Beebee but also sent me the entire course outline, contents, names of the lecturers with their e-mail IDs, course meetings, organisation of the course, reading materials, assessment (theory), time table, lecture synopsis, practical and assessment (practical). Thus by the end of the first week at Sussex I came to know what I have to attend in the second week of October, 2010.
Dr. Patel and his colleague were worried about my accommodation since only one week more was left for me to stay at the IDS as per earlier sanction. Pari suggested that I could ask for extension of my stay at IDS. When I met Mr. Gabriel who had helped me on the first day of arrival to IDS was kind enough to accommodate me for another week till 23 rd October, 2010. The University of Sussex got a large number of students for this academic year (2010-2011) particularly for the first years of  the undergraduate courses. So the university could not provide accommodation to everybody on the campus. All those students who did not get accommodation had to move out of the University campus.   
On Sunday i.e., on 11th October, 2010 Dr. Pari took me to Brighton city in the evening to the offices of accommodation letting agencies. I went to meet these accommodation letting agencies on Monday morning. I was told that no accommodation was available because the students had already occupied the dwelling units. My search continued further. Neha sent me a SMS for viewing the flat at 13.40 at Brunswick square. I went to that place at 13.15. Exactly at 13.35 two ladies entered the house number 6. I thought this time also. I may not get the flat.But when both  the ladies came out of the house one of them asked me whether I  had come for viewing the flat. When I said yes, she showed me the flat and told me to give a call by 15.00. since there was no other option left for me, I agreed and the procedures of ‘agreement of letting’ are going on. By tomorrow, 14th October, 2010, I will be able to get the house key. It is going to be six months contract. It is difficult to get accommodation for six months. Finally  my accommodation problem is solved. Luckily today 13th October, 2010 morning I met Mr. Gabriel . I requested him to cancel the extension given to me to stay  at the  IDS for another week.



  



  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment