Tuesday, January 11, 2011

LIVING IN BRIGHTON

I left Goa on 1st October 2010. I did not realise how these three months passed . It is all because right from my journey for Brighton till now, I received co-operation and help from everybody whom I came in contact with. The place where I live at Hove, Brighton has all essential facilities like supermarkets, shops, post office, bus stops, bars, clubs and sea beach. I stay in a flat which is well furnished. I prepare breakfast and dinner in the flat. I buy things which are required for breakfast and dinner either from ‘Waitrose’ or ‘Taj’ supermarkets. At Taj grocers we find  the things similar to Indian/ Goan supermarket. In these two supermarkets fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, meat and readymade food items are available. I would say no body returns home without getting any item from here. I take lunch at the ‘Cafe Direct’. This is one of the eating houses on the university campus and very close to the Freeman Centre where I work. There are three women who run this cafeteria and these people are very kind to me and give me very good service. They say same services are extended to all their customers. I do my house keeping as well. I did not face any problem in cooking and housekeeping here as I was already familiar with these  before I came here.  




                                                                       Cafe Direct

5 comments:

  1. So what does breakfast, lunch & dinner constitute for you?

    What have you managed to cook? What did you know before UK, and what have you learnt in your time there?

    What about all the other little jobs that are needed in housekeeping. Like laundry, cleaning, paying bills, buying milk, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Sir...you seem to have settled well into life at Brighton :) nice pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The breakfast consists of bread/chapati/naan /paratha/pancake/egg, fruits and tea. In the two supermarkets which I mentioned, wide varieties of bread, readymade chapatis, naans, parathas and pancakes are available. We need to warm them up in oven/microwave. Usually I buy tea powder (Indian/Kenya/English) to prepare tea. Fresh milk is available in different quantities (500ml, 1lit, 2 lits.) in the same shop with expiry date. Fruits and vegetables which we get in Goa/India are also available here but are very fresh.
    I take lunch in the University eating house ‘Cafe Direct’. They serve with veg. soup, several kinds of vegetarian and non vegetarian sandwiches, Panini, sometimes rice, fish, chicken, lamb, pork and beef. Tea, coffee, soft drinks and bread are common. I choose from these varieties.
    For dinner I cook rice and fish curry/daal and vegetables. Readymade masalas for daal / vegetable /fish curry masala are available in the shops. Coconut milk is also available in tins. In ‘Taj’ grocer Indian masala powder/paste form of different states like Maharastra, Hyderabad, Punjab and Goan fish curry masala can be found. I buy these items and prepare my dinner. Fresh ready to eat chicken and lamb curry are available in ‘Taj’.
    I knew cooking before coming to UK and I learnt this in due course of my married life. Cooking here is much easier since the mixing of several ingredients and grinding is already done and is available in the packets. What we need to do here is to take the appropriate quantity, mix and boil.
    Normally in a furnished flat washing machine, ironing table, iron is available. I do cleaning of my flat regularly with vacuum cleaner. I pay my council tax, water bill and electricity bill through bank. These are monthly payments and I have instructed the bank to deduct after 15 th of every month from my account and credit to their respective account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I stumbled upon your blog through google search. I too will be joining the University of Sussex next year and I am currently searching for a place to live. I noticed that you have mentioned that you were living in Hove. I looked into places to live in Hove and I'm wondering how the public transportation from Hove to University of Sussex is and how long does it take?

    Your help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete